Time is fun when you're having flies. ~ Kermit the Frog
Please feel free to comment on any blog entries here.
You do not have to be a blogger in order to comment.
There is a space where you can just leave your name. Thanks!

Friday, March 20, 2009

Youthful Indiscretions

Most people rebelled when they were teenagers. With me, the my rebelling was done between the age of 5 and 7. I think the Catholic school I attended was a bad influence on me (just kidding).

Hot Drinks. The thing I missed the most when my parents joined the LDS faith was sweet tea the way my aunts used to make them. Within a year after they were baptized, Dad became the Branch President and Mom, the Relief Society President. I got a box of tea from the store and hid it in our food pantry. I would make myself a nice cup of sweet tea and ahhh ... until Mom caught me and gave me a good scolding and whooping. I also recall a time when I poured myself a cup of black coffee at some family gathering and shared it with a couple of cousins. Boy, that was a nasty gulp to swallow. No wonder people put cream and sugar into coffee. Yuck! However, I do love the smell of coffee ...

Alcohol. When I was about 6-years-old, grandpa used to give me a shot glass of red wine every morning before school. He told me that it was vitamins and that the burning feeling I felt was the vitamins working. One morning I was running late getting ready and told Mom to hurry up so I can get my vitamins from grandpa. She followed me when I went down to the main house and saw me sipping my shot glass worth of red wine. I wasn’t allowed to visit grandpa unsupervised for a few weeks after that. I wonder if I ceased to be mellow after that?

Smoking. When I was about 7-years-old, my brother, a cousin and I took a cigarette from my uncle's pack and tried to smoke it under a bed. We had no idea how to smoke, so we lit the cigarette and blew on it. Couldn’t understand why smoking was such a big deal. I swear we DID NOT inhale! Grandpa smelled the smoke, smacked us from under the bed with his cane, whipped us with his handkerchief and flicked our ears. Triple Owie!

1 comment:

Marcy said...

So you did it right - get all the fun out of the way before you get baptized. Smart little girl you were! And yes, I can see the mischieviousness in those eyes (or is that the wine?).

Blog Archive